Orana is a long established community organisation helping vulnerable residents of the Sutherland Shire to help themselves.
Orana projects are located in the Sutherland Shire and service the needs of a wide variety of user groups. We are a not-for-profit organisation with deductible gift recipient status and run on the generosity of volunteers, donations, government subsidies and grants.
Who We Are
We assist all members of the local community with information and referral services, specifically supporting those who are financially disadvantaged and socially isolated.
With subsidies by the Department of Family & Community Services and Sutherland Shire Council, Orana NSW Inc. is a not for profit, charitable incorporated Association with a Board made up of community volunteers. We are continually evaluating the needs of our local community and lobbying local and state governments for new services needed across the Sutherland Shire.
Community Development Services
- Information and referral is available via telephone, at the counter or by email.
- Social inclusion groups if you are looking for a local low cost activity we have everything from knitting groups, books clubs and family history classes to tai chi, line dancing and ukulele classes. Click on our project tabs for more information and timetables.
- Domestic violence case worker assisting women to set up safely away from a violent relationship.
- Free counselling service is available. Bookings are essential.
- Early support volunteer home visiting project from families with 0-3 year olds who are experiencing isolation or have no social supports.
- Tax help is available to assist residents with their tax returns. This service is available from July to October. Please ring so that we can assess your eligibility.
- Volunteers are required for general office duties as well as projects such as our Breakfast Hub, grocery days and pick up of local donations on a weekly basis. We have a dedicated team of volunteers who work for us and if you would like to volunteer, please ring the office.
- Emergency Relief is available to residents who live in the Shire. This program is for people who are in financial hardship and a referral is need from Centrelink. Please ring before coming to the centre.
- Frozen food is available to eligible residents.
- Community Contact is a monthly publication in which we provide all kinds of interesting articles and information. This booklet is distributed through the Sutherland Library and chemists throughout the Shire. If you would like to receive a copy of this magazine, why not think about subscribing annually?
Volunteers are required for general office duties and for program and service delivery. All volunteers are trained and supervised by professional centre staff. We have a dedicated team of volunteers who work for us.
If you would like to volunteer, please ring our head office on 9541 8280